On Page SEO
On Page SEO optimization is the core of a website in terms of ranking in search engines.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) can be divided in two categories parts: On page SEO and Off Page SEO.
On page SEO activities covers all the techniques which can be done on the website and it can be done by a person which has full authority of the website. Off page SEO covers all the activities which are done outside the pages to create backlinks, achieve referral traffic and improve ranking. Off page SEO can be done by any person which have no authority, hence it has less value than On page SEO.
We should do SEO analysis and prepare an on page SEO checklist before optimizing the content and webpage for ranking. I am sharing the on page search engine optimization tips which helps you to achieve good ranking in search engine results.
It’s simple On Page SEO checklist guide and can be applied easily to achieve good rankings and boost up the traffic.
On Page SEO: Best Practices and Techniques
Title is one of the most important element of on page SEO. It is the first thing seen by a visitor in SERP and it gives an idea about the webpage. It also gives an idea to the bots who are crawling a webpage and indexed them.
Tips for Title Optimization
- Always put primary keyword in the title.
- Beginning of title should be with primary keyword, it gives more weight-age to your page.
- The limit of Title should be in under 55- 65 characters (including spaces and symbols) for better visibility.
- Don’t over optimized your title
If you are writing about Microsoft Training, your title should be like “Microsoft Training from Authorized Learning Partner”.
URL Permalink Structure
URL structure should be user friendly and search engine friendly. URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is also one of the most important factor in on page SEO, they should be easy to remember and easy enough to provide a clear idea about the page to the user and search engine.
Tips for Writing a well-structured URL:
- Keyword-rich URL should contain the primary keyword and should be easy to remember (short in length).
- It should be written cleanly and gives a clear idea about the page; if you are creating URL for Microsoft training it should be “www.site.com/microsoft-training”
- Always create URL in small character, avoid Capitalized character.
- Use hyphens in URL, do not use underscores in the URL.
You can see the below example for idea:
Heading Tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6)
Heading tags are also a good way to optimized the webpage and it is also an important factor in On Page optimization. Apart from using one H1 in a page, you can use multiple H2 and other tags in the article as per the usage. Search engine gives more priorities to H1 tag. Header tags should be used in body in as in hierarchy like H1>H2>H3 and so on. Heading tags are helpful for search engine bots to understand the content of the body.
Tips for using Heading Tags
- Using one H1 in webpage is considered as good practise.
- Put your primary keywords in the H1 tag.
- Put your sub headings in H2 and H3 tag which will make content more user friendly and search engine will get a clear idea about the content. (Like I used)
- You can drop your primary keyword, secondary keyword or synonyms in H2 and H3 tags.
Bonus Tip: If you are using CMS like WordPress or something else, kindly check the source code, there might be multiple H1 depending on the theme you are using. You can fix this issue by doing some changes in header.php file of the theme. Also you can drop a mail to the theme creator if he provides the support. One more thing whenever you will update the theme the code will also update, so a good idea would be creating a child theme of the desired theme.
Search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo sees internal links as a link and it is helpful in slash the bounce rate of the page. Internal links also helps in increase the page views of the website. It is a completely on page activity and linking should be relevant. I will suggest Wikipedia to check the example of internal linking. Navigation menu and footer links are also serves as internal links.
Some Tips for internal linking
- Google gives more priority to first link in the page, so your first internal link should be an important page which you want to rank for.
- Don’t links many number of pages with a single page it might give a spam signal to the Google. The ideal number of links are depending on the length of article. In my opinion 3 to 4 links are good enough for 500 words post.
External links are helpful for search engines to getting an idea about the page. In my opinion an external link to the trusted source might be helpful. Suppose I am providing CCNA official training and my institute is official training partner of CISCO then I will give an external no-follow link to the CISCO page where authorized institutes are listed. It will increase trust in the eyes of users and search engines will also able to find the
Tips for External Linking
- Always give authoritive and trusted external links; these links should be no-followed and opened in new tab.
- External links should be relevant and gives value to the user.
Images and Multimedia
Images and multimedia files like videos, infographics, graphs are helpful in hold the user on the page for longer time. Also they make the page more user friendly and interactive. Sometimes images are videos could be more helpful in clearing the topic more easily than a text post. Image and multimedia are helpful in slashing the bounce rate and increase the time on website. These are two crucial factors of ranking.
Tips for Images and Multimedia Optimization
- Use optimized images and always use alt tag with proper keyword and some description about the images.
- Bots are unable to read the images; therefore, alt tags gave him a proper idea about the images.
- Images should be optimized to decrease the page load time and image URL should also be user friendly (As described in the page).
Page loading speed is an important ranking factor of On page SEO, Google also stated that they consider page speed is a ranking signal. Most of the user don’t want to spend time on the page who loads slowly.
Tips for Improving Page Speed
- Use Optimized images.
- Optimized the code of the website.
- Use premium hosting and CDN is also a good option for improving page speed.
- Use WordPress plugins like WP Performance Score Booster
Bounce Rate and Page Time
A bounce rate counts when user leaves the website without interacting with other pages of the website. A high bounce rate is not good for most of the website. Ideal bounce rate is a matter of debate and it depends on the niche of the site. Bounce rate is also a factor in organic ranking and low bounce rate is helps in getting good ranks in SERP (Search Engine Ranking Pages). Low bounce rate and long time on page send signal to the google that this page is user friendly and gives value to user.
Tips for Slashing Bounce Rate and Increase Page Time
- Write user friendly content with relevant images, infographics, graphs, surveys and videos, it increase user engagement time with the website.
- Proper and relevant interlinking is also a way to reducing bounce rate.
Size of content matters to get good rankings, posting of long content sends a signal to the search engines that author done a proper research about the subject and crawlers also like long content. Content is the food for bots and everybody loves their food. Long content also brings out the long tail keywords along with targeted keywords.
Some Tips for Writing Content
- Do proper research about the topic and content should be focused on the topic.
- Include synonyms and long tail keywords also in the content after proper keyword research.
Body content is the place where you can do most of the On Page experiments. It is a lengthy and deep topic; therefore, I am sharing some important points which might help in ON Page SEO optimization.
Content Breakdown: Helpful to the users who are finding specific piece of content from a long post.
Here are some useful tips on Content breakdown
- Always insert your primary keyword in the beginning of the page and Google gives more weight age to first link in terms of interlinking.
- Break your content in small sentences and paragraphs, also you can break the content in subheading with the help of H2, H3 and other heading tags.
- You can drop secondary or Long tail keywords in H2 and other heading tags.
- Tables, Numbered or Bullet list can be used.
- You can bold some important keywords or phrases if necessary, search engines give some weight age to bold words.
In the past keyword density was major factor in ranking, nowadays search engines doesn’t consider keyword density a major factor, however it is still plays an important role in ranking. There are no predefined criteria for density. Most of the SEO experts prefer 2% to 3% keyword density is ideal.
Tips for Keyword Density
- Don’t overstuffed the page with keywords, it will neither help users nor search engines and page will look spammy primary made for ranking.
- Use synonyms of the keywords for optimizing the webpage for other keywords also.
One of the important factor must be considered before writing any article and in my opinion is it extremely important for On Page SEO. Keyword research is very deep topic and I will write a post which will be focused on keyword research. Keyword Planner Tool (Google Adwords) is most powerful free tool for keyword search, you can find the keyword ideas, impressions, monthly interest and more data of a specific keyword focused on specific country, city or region along with various filters. Soovle.com is also a good keyword suggestion tool which is completely free. Google search is also suggesting related keywords when you search for your target keyword.
Modifiers in Title and Headings
Adding modifiers like Best, proven, expert, tips, 2016, 2015, review, etc to the title and heading can give you good CTR and long tail keywords for ranking. Also you can add some interrogative words like how, when, why, who to the title and heading (if relevant) for improving the ranking on specific queries where user is searching for answers.
LSI stands for Latent Semantic Indexing in which search engines uses other relevant keywords for ranking. Now search engine smart enough to make a relation between synonyms and other related words. So it is a good idea to use synonyms and related keywords to rank for multiple keywords.
I am sharing an example of Latent Semantic Indexing (LSI), I searched for the query “Desktop resolution” and the Google query returned with display resolution, screen resolution and monitor resolution.
Here Google Search Engine LSI comes into the play. So using synonyms and related keywords is a good idea.
Meta tags are not important nowadays, however catchy meta description tags are useful in increasing the CTR of the webpage. I use description as a second Title tag and insert relevant keywords which are not possible in the Title due to character limit. Sometimes google also shows description from the page as per the query. Meta keywords are not important these days. Most of the SEO person avoids the usage of keyword tag. Google also reveals in 2009 that they don’t consider keywords tag while giving rankings.
Tips of writing Meta Description Tag:
Length of description tag is 155-160 characters including spaces and symbols.
Write catchy description and includes primary and secondary keywords in the description which are not possible to include in the title.
Coding and Code Structure
Many SEOs didn’t check the source code of the page while optimizing the on page factors. Sometimes source code can create multiple issues with the page and can also stop bots to accessing the page. Often developer uses the iframes without the consent of SEO and it can create issues with the page and crawler unable to see the content in frames. Most of the bots faces difficulty while crawling the flash and i frames. Also excessive use of JS, Ajax and Jquery can also create problems with the pages. Try to optimize the code and script with the help of developer. Lengthy code can also increases the page load time.
You might be aware that Google main focus is to solve user queries and it is based on serving users in efficient way. Google sometimes shows a rich snippet on certain queries to fulfill the user need. Adding modifiers, interrogative words, bullet list and tables often serve those users who are in hurry and don’t want to read long post. So it’s a good idea to add play with body content and shows up in rich snippet.